Sunday, May 29, 2016

Day 12: Rainy Day on the Lake, Another Trip to the Hospital

I gotta be honest, today was not the best day. There are two reasons for this: 1) It was raining pretty heavily, and 2) I had to go to the hospital again.

The day started off with us leaving Verona for the Peschiera del Garda Village, a tiny town on Lake Garda. We were scheduled to get a walking tour of the area, then have the rest of the afternoon free. However, the weather gods just couldn't give us a break, because it was raining from the moment we arrived to the town. It also didn't help that my feet were hurting a lot more today that it was painful to walk. As a result, I stayed in a cafe with Dr. Duquin while everyone else went on the tour. We ordered cappuccinos to sip while we waited for everyone to return from the tour. I thought the rain would stop while we waited, but it just kept on downpouring. When it started to lighten up, I gathered enough energy to explore the area with a few others. We went into a few of the shops, but I didn't see anything particularly eye-catching. We walked along the lake for a bit, which was a nice view with a lot of pretty looking buildings around it. One of the restaurants along the water had fettuccine alfredo on the menu, which I found amusing since we had been told beforehand that alfredo wasn't a thing in Italy.

After walking around town for a bit, the rain started to pick up again, so we returned to the cafe. I ordered a delicious pesto ravioli for lunch, which turned out to be the most pleasant memory of this day. After I finished the pasta, I inspected my hands. They appeared more red and swollen than yesterday. The antihistamine I was prescribed obviously wasn't doing anything and I seriously needed medical attention. I guess it was a good thing that it was raining so hard, because our professors and Luca agreed that the weather was too harsh to do anything and decided to head back to Milan early, which meant I could get to a doctor quicker. We caught the earlier train to Milan and then Luca and I went back to the hospital. We arrived at the hospital around 6pm, but we were waiting around for 4 hours until I finally saw a doctor, who thought I probably had some type of viral infection, but she couldn't say for sure, so they drew blood to do tests on, which meant more waiting. We got the results an hour later, but they all came back negative, so we left the hospital at midnight with no answers. Luca arranged for me to see a dermatologist tomorrow, so hopefully they'll be able to diagnose me.

No comments:

Post a Comment